Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Thai Green Curry from scratch
Thai Green Chicken Curry. Prep and cooking time: 40 minutes.
Serves 2 as a main course.
For the curry paste.
2 x 15cm/6-inch Lemongrass stalks OR 2 teasp. Lemongrass Paste.
3-6 Medium-hot Green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped.
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and roughly chopped.
2.5cm/1-inch piece of fresh galangal OR 3 slices of Dried Galangal.
1cm/½-inch piece of Root Ginger, roughly chopped.
1 Large Shallot, peeled and roughly chopped.
15g/½oz Fresh Coriander (leaves and stalks) roughly chopped.
1 teasp ground Cumin.
4 fresh or dried Kaffir Lime Leaves.
1 teasp Grated Lime Zest.
1 tbsp Lime Juice.
2 teasp Thai Fish Sauce (nam pla).
2 teasp Shrimp Paste.
For the curry.
350g/12oz Boneless chicken breasts or thighs.
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil.
50g/4oz Fine Green Beans.
200ml/7fl oz Coconut Milk.
200ml/7 fl oz Chicken Stock.
4 fresh or dried Lime Leaves.
1 tbsp Palm Sugar.
1 tbsp Thai fish Sauce (nam pla).
15g/½oz fresh coriander (leaves and stalks).
10 fresh Basil Leaves, shredded.
1. For the curry paste, Remove any tough outer leaves from the lemongrass, slice the stalks then place in a small food processor together with the remaining paste ingredients and process to form a thick paste. This can be done well ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
2. Cut the chicken into 2.5cm/1-inch cubes and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan, add the chicken and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes then add half the curry paste plus 1-2 tablespoons of the coconut milk and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. The remaining curry paste can be frozen for future use or will last for 1 few days in the fridge.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, except basil leaves, bring to to the boil then reduce heat a little and simmer rapidly for 15 - 20 minutes stirring from time to time., until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid is slightly reduced and thickened.
5. Just before serving, stir in basil leaves. Serve hot with rice.
Courtesy of www.Recipes4us.co.uk.