Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
West Green Road flat fire caused by candle
Firefighters say a blaze which destroyed a flat yesterday evening was caused by a candle.
The Fire Brigade has issued a warning calling on people to take care with candles after a fire engulfed the first floor of a maisonette in Tottenham last night.
Two men and a woman escaped the fire in West Green Road, with one man and a woman guided to safety by 999 operators and the other man saved when a passer-by smashed a window.
Firefighters investigating the cause of the blaze believe it was caused by a tea light candle.
Watch Manager Frank Croxford, of Tottenham fire station, has called on people to take care using candles and warned of the possible fire risk of leaving them unattended.
He called for people to make sure candles are kept away from curtains, furniture or anything else which can catch fire.
More than 30 firefighters and six engines tackled the blaze and managed to bring the flames under control by 11.37pm.