Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Cllr Nilgun Canver responds to concerns by Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association and HOBA and South Tottenham Association
Haringey Borough Council said a borough-wide 20mph limit shows a clear commitment to making roads safer after residents’ associations called for a more targeted approach.
Yesterday the Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association and the HOBA and South Tottenham Association said they would support the scheme in residential streets but not on main roads.
Councillor Nilgun Canver, cabinet member for the environment, said the council is keen to explore all options to make roads safer for everyone.
She said: “When we previously considered proposals for a borough-wide 20mph limit the cost was prohibitively expensive at more than £3million.
“Relaxation of legislation around signage means we are now in a much stronger position to introduce a limit.
“A borough-wide 20mph limit would send a clear message to everyone driving in or through Haringey that we are committed to making all of our roads safer at all times – including residential streets and main roads.
“We remain committed to other traffic calming and safety projects such as community streets.”
Detailed proposals for the 20mph limit will go before the authority’s cabinet on June 8.
The plans will then be subject to a public consultation where all residents will have the opportunity to share their views before any final decisions are taken.
Comments are closed on this article.