Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Ahmet Kose, of Noel Park, claimed £8,500 before trying to buy house
A father who illegally claimed more than £8,500 in benefits before trying to buy his council home has been fined after a Haringey Borough Council investigation.
Ahmet Kose, 68, received the housing and council tax benefits between March 2011 and January this year, despite living with his two sons who earned more than £54,000 between them.
Kose had told the council he only lived with one son who earned only £100, but benefit fraud investigators discovered the truth on the mortgage application for his home in Mark Road, Noel Park.
After being interviewed three times between December 2012 and May 2013, he finally admitted he had not declared his sons’ incomes and apologised.
On Wednesday, August 29, the 68-year-old appeared at Haringey Magistrates’ Court.
He was fined £200 and told to repay the money after pleading guilty to failing to notify the council of a change in circumstances.
Magistrates warned Kose his conviction would mean he would find it difficult to get a mortgage in the future, and ordered him to pay £700 costs.
The ruling comes on the same day that magistrates fined Piotr Zdanski, 36, formerly of Strode Road, Tottenham, who illegally claimed £6,777 in housing benefit after moving out of the property in August last year.
He was ordered to pay £750 in fines and costs, and to repay benefits after pleading guilty to failing to notify the council of a change in circumstances.
Councillor Joe Goldberg, who is responsible for finance, said: “These convictions show that would-be benefit fraudsters should think twice before scamming taxpayers.
“Benefits should be there for the people that need them, and the council will always press for the strongest penalties when we find those are claiming them illegally.”
Comments are closed on this article.