Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Mark Duggan inquest verdict could be delayed until January 2014
The jury in the Mark Duggan inquest has been told that if they cannot return a verdict by the end of today hearings will be adjourned until the New Year.
Coroner Keith Cutler has informed jurors that should they fail to reach a conclusion by the end of the day the inquest will reconvene on Tuesday, January 7.
Mr Duggan was shot dead by an armed police officer in Ferry Lane, Tottenham on August 4, 2011, after the minicab he was travelling in was stopped as part of an police operation to tackle gun crime.
His death sparked riots across Tottenham which later spread across the country.
Yesterday the judge announced he would accept a majority verdict, a week after the jury retired to consider whether or not the 29-year-old was killed lawfully or unlawfully.
Jurors were previously told their decision had to be unanimous but Mr Cutler said he will accept an 9-1 or 8-2 majority after four days of deadlock.
The coroner told jurors they could decide he was either shot lawfully or unlawfully, or return an open verdict.
However, Judge Cutler stressed that to return an unlawful killing conclusion they must be sure "beyond all reasonable doubt" that Mr Duggan was unarmed.
Comments are closed on this article.