Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Councillor Joseph Ejiofor welcomes plans by Hanover Housing Association to build 161 new homes
A politician has praised plans to build 161 new homes on the site of derelict hospital buildings in Muswell Hill.
Councillor Joseph Ejiofor said proposals by Hanover Housing Association to redevelop the former St Luke’s Hospital, in Woodside Avenue, would restore the area to its “previous glory”.
The six-acre site will be transformed into affordable housing and homes for older people after proposals were given the green light by the council’s planning committee on Monday evening.
Cllr Ejiofor, Haringey Borough Council’s cabinet member for planning, said: “I am happy that the planning committee reached that difficult balance between approving an appropriate development for the St Luke's site and retaining the ambience of the community.
“It is important that these stunning former hospital buildings will now be restored to their previous glory and the gardens opened up for the local community to enjoy.
“Residents must feel involved in decisions made for regenerating all areas of our borough, and the council has addressed concerns and worked hard with the developers to ensure that St Luke's will have the right mix of affordable housing, flats and family homes.”
As part of the plans, the Grade II listed buildings overlooking Highgate Wood will be refurbished by the housing association and the gardens will be opened up to the public.
Of the 161 new homes - 48 will be affordable homes, whilst 30 units will be co-housing dwellings where residents share facilities, and 83 homes will be built for those over 55.
Initial plans were turned down by the council last year because affordable housing was proposed for over-55s only, while concerns were raised about pressures on local school places.
Hanover will now pay nearly £820,000 in planning contributions – with the vast majority funding more places and better facilities at nearby schools.
Gail Engert, Liberal Democrat councillor for Muswell Hill, said welcomed the plans but said: “I hope that the developer will do as much as they can to minimise the noise and disruption to residents that the building works will cause.”
Comments are closed on this article.