Voters' shock after Councillor Nilgun Canver found guilty of attempting to pervert course of justice

Councillor Nilgun Canver leaving Wood Green Crown Court after she was found guilty of attempting to pervert the course of justice

Councillor Nilgun Canver leaving Wood Green Crown Court after she was found guilty of attempting to pervert the course of justice

First published in News
Last updated
by , Reporter

Voters have expressed shock after a politician was convicted of lying to the police about a car crash to cover for her son.

Councillor Nilgun Canver - Haringey Borough Council's former cabinet member for crime and community safety - was convicted at Wood Green Crown Court last week of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The St Ann’s ward councillor - who supporters have said will appeal - claimed she had been at the wheel of the family's BMW following a collision in Seven Sisters Road in January 2013.

In fact her son Burak had been driving the vehicle without insurance. He fled and Cllr Canver tried to take the blame when she arrived afterwards.

She was given a one-year conditional discharge and was ordered to pay costs of £500 and a £15 victim surcharge.

The Independent has made repeated attempts to speak to Cllr Canver, and this week asked people in her ward whether they felt she should explain herself.

Jat Sharma, of St Ann’s Road, Tottenham, said he felt let down.

He said: "It’s quite a serious charge and I was very disappointed and surprised when I heard.

"I had never met her myself but I had heard from others that she was a very good councillor who did a lot for people."

Jim Cassins, the chairman of the South Tottenham Residents Association, said the councillor was lucky she got off lightly.

He said: "She was not in my ward but I have seen her give presentations on crime and I thought she had done some really great work.

"At this point I don’t think it makes a difference if she apologises because the damage has already been done.

Mr Cassins added: "There were lots of people who were shocked with her involvement in this incident and the consequences could have been much worse."

Anita Davis, of North Grove, said: "I can sympathise with her because she was probably trying to protect her son but someone in her position should know better."

Cllr Canver will continue to serve as a councillor for St Ann’s Ward until the council elections in May.

The 56-year-old has been a councillor since 1998 and was Haringey Borough Council’s cabinet member for the environment when she was charged.

A Haringey Council spokesman said the council accepted the verdict and it was a personal matter for Cllr Canver, who was entitled to continue.

Councillor David Browne, a former Haringey mayor who gave evidence in defence of Canver, said after the trial that his fellow St Ann's ward councillor would appeal.

Cllr Pat Egan, the Labour group's chief whip, said Cllr Canver's administrative suspension from the Labour Party was under review and it was a matter for the Labour Party nationally.

Cllr Richard Wilson, leader of the Haringey Liberal Democrat, said: "As a senior member of Haringey Council's cabinet Cllr Canver was in a position of trust and responsibility, and I think residents will be shocked by what has happened."

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:48am Fri 7 Feb 14

GenghisKhan says...

I wasn't remotely surprised. I always thought she was guilty.
I wasn't remotely surprised. I always thought she was guilty. GenghisKhan
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree