Don't get a fowl stomach, says Haringey Council

First published in News
Last updated
Haringey Independent: Photograph of the Author by

Don't wash your chicken before it is cooked, Haringey Council is telling diners this week.

As part of Food Safety Week, the council’s environmental health team is showing residents how to avoid the bacteria campylobacter, which is responsible for more than 50 per cent of the food poisoning in Haringey.

Campylobacter, found in raw chicken, is easily spread onto other food, skin and equipment when washing the meat uncooked, and can lead to serious illness.

Washing used utensils thoroughly and making sure the meat is steaming hot all the way through before serving will protect against it spreading.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree