Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or upload here
Family quit hunger strike after Osama Qashoo declared safe
THE family of the young Haringey film-maker detained in Israel have spoken of their relief after he arrived safely in Turkey.
Osama Qashoo, 28, and other activists from the Freedom Flotilla destined for Gaza were taken to Istanbul after being held for 70 hours.
His family had been on a hunger strike since Israel attacked his boat on Monday and killed nine people on board.
They vowed only to start eating again when they knew he was safe.
Mr Qashoo finally contacted his parents from Turkey at 3:30am this morning.
He told them he was "very tired" and had no idea where he had come from as the detainees had not been informed by Israel about any events in the outside world.
It is unclear at this point how he will return to his home in London.
His brother, Mosab, said: “We feel immensely relieved to have heard from Osama. We have been living in this horrid uncertainty.
"We hope to hear more after he gets some much-needed food and rest.”
His father, who lives in the West Bank, added: "This has been a storm in his head, a big storm."