Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Fabrice Muamba returns home after 30 days in intensive care
Fabrice Muamba will return home today to spend “precious” time with family following a month-long stay in intensive care.
The Bolton Wanderers midfielder has been discharged from The London Chest Hospital and will spend the rest of his recovery time with his family at home.
The football star, who suffered a life-threatening cardiac arrest during the FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur on March 17, has thanked his fans and the hospital staff for their support in his recovery.
He said: “I am naturally very pleased to be discharged from hospital and would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff at The London Chest Hospital who have played a part in my care.
"Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt.
"I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support.
"Now I am out of hospital, I am looking forward to continuing my recovery and spending precious time with my family.”
Reports previously suggested the young star would leave the hospital on Friday and be transferred to Alexandra Hospital in Cheshire to continue his recovery.
However, a statement released by the Barts Health NHS Trust today confirmed the player will leave the hospital and return home.
The statement said: “Barts Health can confirm that Fabrice Muamba has now been discharged following several weeks of treatment. All our staff wish him the very best in his ongoing recovery.”
The player was effectively dead for 78 minutes after he stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating in front of fans and millions of television viewers at White Hart Lane stadium.
At this stage, it is uncertain whether the player will return to professional football in the future.
Comments are closed on this article.