Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Briton among Thai disco blaze dead
A British man has been confirmed as one of four people killed when a fire swept through a nightclub in Thailand.
Michael Pio Tzouvanni, 24, from London, was caught up in the blaze at the Tiger Discotheque on the island of Phuket in the early hours of Friday morning.
He had been with two friends but split from them just before the fire broke out.
Three other people, believed to be two Thai women and a French man, also died, while at least 11 people were injured.
Police in Thailand said Mr Tzouvanni died from smoke inhalation.
A spokeswoman for the family said they were too upset to talk today.
As his family awaited news, his brother, Joseph, 26, flew out to Phuket to appeal for help in tracing him.
He told English-language newspaper the Phuket Gazette that his construction developer brother had been on the island for 10 days and had extended his stay by another four as he was enjoying himself so much. He had been to the island many times before, he added.
He told the paper: "Michael called his friend at 4am at the Tiger Discotheque on the day of the fire... I don't know what he talked about with his friend. We love him and we need to find him. We have five brothers, one sister."
A Foreign Office spokesman confirmed officials are providing consular assistance to the family.