Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Fabrice Muamba expected to leave hospital today
Fabrice Muamba is expected to leave the London Chest Hospital today after spending almost a month in intensive care.
The Bolton Wanderers midfielder, who collapsed following a cardiac arrest at White Hart Lane, is due to be transferred to Alexandra Hospital in Cheshire to continue his recovery.
The latest statement, released from Bolton Wanderers Football Club and Barts Health NHS Trust on April 6, said the player continues to make “strong and steady” improvements and remains in intensive care.
Social networking site has been filling up today with messages wishing the young player well in his recovery.
Garry Millard, who describes himself as a massive Tottenham fan, tweeted today: “Good to hear about Fabrice Muamba moving to a hospital near his house and could play football again!”
Rob Jones, who is a Newcastle United fan, said: “News saying that @fmuamba could be playing by the end of the year, unbelievable stuff!”
It has been reported that the popular player was fitted with an electric device earlier this week which could save his life if he collapses again.
The cardioverter defibrillator releases electric charge to ensure the 24-year-old will be protected if he suffers from a cardiac arrest in the future.
The player was effectively dead for 78 minutes after he stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating during the FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on March 17.
At this stage, it is uncertain whether the player will return to professional football in the future.
His father released a picture posted a picture of Muamba in his hospital bed on March 30 to say thank you to all the support from his fans.
Players have sported football shirts with slogans including Pray for Muamba to show their support to the player.