Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Man goes into burning flat to save neighbour
A man who risked his life to save his neighbour from his burning flat has been called a hero by people in his street.
Lee Harrison, of Gladstone Avenue, Wood Green, kicked down the door of the flat pulling his neighbour Jim Puck to safety while the fire raged.
The blaze started just after 5am on Sunday morning and is believed to have been caused by a candle in the front living room of the ground floor flat.
Neighbour Lul Abdi said: “He’s definitely a hero; he went in there and saved Jim’s life. He’s such a nice guy and he’s always helping people.”
Dogan Inan, who lives above the flat where the fire took place, said: “We saw the fire coming out of the front windows and we knocked on Lee’s door.
“He came out and kicked down the door and went in to get the man. He was very brave to do that and he just did it without thinking.”
Mr Harrison, 30, said: “I didn’t think about what I was doing really. I just acted on instinct. You never know what you’re capable of until you’re in that kind of situation.
“From the outside I could see there were only flames in the front room. I asked for a touch thinking I could have a look in and see if I could see anything. But once it was in my hand I just went in.
“There was a lot of smoke but I kept low and found Jim in the back of the flat and grabbed his arm and got him outside.
“Looking back on it now it seems a bit crazy and can’t really believe I did it. At the end of the day I was just trying to help someone, I couldn’t just leave him there.”
London Fire brigade were called to the scene just after 5am and the fire was under control by 5.35am.
Mr Puck, 56, was taken to North Middlesex Hospital by ambulance for burns to his hands and smoke inhalation.