Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Wood Green rioters sentenced
A group of ten have been jailed for their part in scenes of violence and disorder in Wood Green during last year’s riots.
The group were part of the unrest in Wood Green, High Road, on the night of August 6 last year which had spread from Tottenham High Road earlier that evening.
Members of the group, some of which were known gang members to the police, met under Wood Green Shopping City, armed with bottles, rocks and sticks which they then used to attack a police car on route to Tottenham.
The group targeted a number of shops in the area smashing windows including the Quicksilver Gaming Arcade, in High Road, Wood Green, where employees were robbed of their personal belongings and large scale damage was caused.
Following this the group barricaded the High Road and targeted motorists as they attempted to make their way through with one female driver suffering serious facial injuries when she was attacked by an unidentified group member.
Detective Inspector Peter Welsh said: "I believe as a result of all persons being given custodial sentences this will hopefully reduce the threat of gang activity and gang violence in Haringey and surrounding boroughs.
“Anti social behaviour will be reduced, which conveys a strong message to the other gang members, that the Metropolitan Police Service is committed to reducing gang activity and offending.”
The group pleaded guilty either before or on the first day of the trial and were sentenced at on August 1 as below.
- Dean Richards, 23 of Morley Avenue, Wood Green, was sentenced to two and a half years for robbery, burglary, handling stolen goods and violent disorder.
- Carl Richards, 18 of Morley Avenue, Wood Green, was sentenced to one year and six months at a young offenders' institute for burglary.
- Rickelle Christian, of Inca Terrace, Wood Green, was sentenced to five months at a young offenders' institute for handling stolen goods.
- Dkwan Mitchell, 18, of Platers way, Brauntree, Essex, was sentenced to one year and 10 months in a young offenders' institute for aggravated burglary, violent disorder and theft.
- Chiamaka Amaezeson, 18, of Park Road North, Aston, Birmingham, was sentenced to two and a half years in a young offenders' institute for burglary, violent disorder.
- Julian Kasai, 26, of Effinham Road N8, in Harringay Ladder, was sentenced to 3 years 6 months robbery, Aggravated Burglary and Violent Disorder.
- Nicky Pell, 28, of Hornsey Park Road, Wood Green, was sentenced to 2 years 6 months Robbery, Aggravated Burglary and Violent Disorder.
- A 17-year-old male was sentenced to one year at a young offenders' institute for aggravated burglary, violent disorder and burglary.
- A 16-year-old male sentenced to one and a half years in a young offenders' institute for aggravated burglary, arson, and violent disorder.
- A 16-year-old male sentenced to one year in a young offenders' institute for aggravated burglary, violent disorder and burglary.