Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Tottenham Hotspur reportedly seeking replacement before allowing Gareth Bale sale to go ahead
9:46am Tuesday 27th August 2013 in Spurs
Gareth Bale’s proposed world-record move to Real Madrid is on hold until Spurs can bring in a replacement for the Welsh attacker, according to The Telegraph.
Tottenham’s attempts to sign Anzhi Makhachkala winger Willian as a replacement proved to be in vain with the Brazilian joining Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea in a £30m deal on Sunday.
A £90m deal is believed to have been struck between Spurs chairman Daniel Levy and Real Madrid president Florentino Perez over the weekend, but Levy is reluctant to let the 24-year-old leave White Hart Lane until a replacement is secured.
One such target is Roma attacker Erik Lamela, who is expected at the club’s training ground in the next 24 hours to undergo a medical and agree personal terms.
Manchester United manager David Moyes was coy on his side’s chances of landing Bale when asked after last night’s 0-0 draw with Chelsea.
"I said at the start when I got the job that Manchester United will always be interested in the best players,” said Moyes. "The owners have given me every opportunity to bring in who I want and we'll continue to try and find those players.”
Asked directly if an offer for the Spurs winger had been lodged, Moyes said: "It's been tough in this window but we're always looking at the best players. I can't give you any more."
Comments are closed on this article.