Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting HARINGEY to 80360, or email us
Coroner Keith Cutler and Mark Duggan inquest jury visit Ferry Lane, Tottenham, where shooting took place
The jury in the inquest into the death of Mark Duggan visited the scene where he was shot dead by police officers.
Coroner Keith Cutler and the jurors visited Ferry Lane, Tottenham, yesterday as part of proceedings to establish the truth about what happened when the 29-year-old was killed on August 4, 2011.
The scene of the shooting was recreated and the jury were told they will later hear evidence about whether a gun found 10 to 20 feet away from the site of the shooting was “planted” by the police.
Earlier the jury was taken to Vicarage Road in Leyton, where Mr Duggan was allegedly given a handgun by Kevin Hutchinson-Foster before taking a mini cab to Ferry Lane.
In January of this year Hutchinson-Foster was jailed after a trial at the Old Bailey for providing Mr Duggan with a gun.
On Tuesday, at the Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand, the inquest jury were told Hutchinson-Foster will claim he did not provide Mr Duggan with the gun.
Jurors were later taken to Tottenham by the same route Mr Duggan took before the shooting.
Also on Tuesday, counsel to the inquest Ashley Underwood told the jury that the officer who shot the 29-year-old said he did it in self defence.
The officer claimed he saw Mr Duggan carrying what he believed to be a gun wrapped in a sock in his right hand.
He opened fire on him as he believed that the he was preparing to shoot at police officers.
However, after Mr Duggan had been shot no gun was found on his person.
A gun was later found wrapped in a dark sock between 10ft and 20ft away from the scene where the shooting took place.
It was a working weapon and had one bullet in the magazine.
Mr Underwood explained that is unclear about how the gun travelled such a distance or even if Mr Duggan was carrying the gun when he was shot by police.
Mr Duggan’s death sparked riots in Tottenham which spread to the rest of the country in August 2011.
The inquest continues.
Comments are closed on this article.